Tuesday 5 February 2008

Julia's House


Hiya, Just wanted to update as we had a such fab day yesterday. I've mentioned before about a hospice called Julia's House that are going to be giving some respite care at home for Patrick. Well, I took Patrick over to the hospice itself for the first time yesterday as they held a parent and toddler group. Mum came with us and I have to say what a wonderful place Julia's House is and what a positive experience it was. I was quite nervous about going there if I'm honest as the image I had in my head is one of a clinical environment full of very poorly children and sad parents. I couldn't have been more wrong. As soon as we walked in we were greated by countless smiley faces and we instantly felt as ease. We were given a tour of the hospice that has amazing decor, all based on a beach theme and not a bit clinical or hospital like. The toddler group itself was great fun with about 6 children all with various types of disabilities, it was so nice to be able to take Patrick to a group with other children without him sticking out like a sore thumb, he blended in nicely. Patrick actually found the whole experience pretty exhausting and promptly fell asleep leaving me and Mum on our own to join in with the group sing-song, tamborines in hand, with so many enthusiastic carers around it was easy to go along with it and we sang 'Old McDonald and Row the boat' with gusto! When Patrick finally woke up we took him into the play room where they had lots of painting things out. Patrick was a bit quiet in his new surroundings so just sat and played with some sensory toys while we were able pick the brains of the staff and get some ideas. All the staff were so fantastic and new exactly how to handle all the children, the place has such an amazing positive energy that deffinately rubs off on you as you leave.

I've actually booked Patrick in for a pre-school session next Tuesday, I was that impressed. We can basically leave him in the very capable hands of Pam, his carer and she will look after him and do activities and play with him, they have a well equiped sensory room even take the children out for walks in good weather. Martin and I will stay with him for the first few sessions but they have a big conservatory overlooking their sensory garden that's set aside for parents to 'chill' in while the children are kept busy.

Patrick's carer Pam came out to see us at home today for a couple of hours and she seems great, really easy going and got stuck in with feeding Patrick and had a good cuddle which he didn't seem to mind at all. I've been told that Pam is a bit of an expert when it comes to children with epilepsy so if we do finally pluck up the courage to leave him with her I'm sure he'll be in good hands.

Anyway, that was it really, I have rung the hospital today and am waiting for a call back so will update if and when we get any more news. I have posted a couple of links on the blog, one is to the Julia's House website which has a virtual tour on it so you can see what I'm going on about, there is also a link to a site that sells sensory toys (Rompa) incase anyone is looking for ideas for Patrick's birthday. There are a couple of larger pieces of play equipment that I would like to get for Patrick so if anyone would just like to send him some pennies for his birthday that would be fine.

I have attached a photo of Patrick lying on his front demonstrating his strong neck, and how he can lift his head unaided (a very big deal for him).

Take care, love you lots, Gemma xx

1 comment:

The Life of a Paed Heart Transplant Recipient said...

I'm a fellow mod with Martin and just wanted to post really to back up what you've said about hospices. We have no experience of Julia's House, ours is of Naomi House. We too were apprehensive about our first visit. We found the house to be filled with laughter and fun. Lucy absolutely loved going there.

Glad to see how well Paddy is doing.

All our love

Bev xx