Tuesday 1 January 2008

Happy New Year 2008 xxx

Well, 2008 is here and by the look of my diary already I just know it's gonna be a hectic one!

We had a really nice family Christmas, lots of love and laughter all the way. Patrick (bless him) was pretty overwhelmed by it all and was very quiet for a few days but as things have settled down a bit, he's coming back to being his normal, happy, noisy self. His seizures increased in intensity over xmas and boxing day but after speaking to Fiona and putting him back on the carbemazepine they have settled again and he is only having one or two a day.

Sorry, I'm just gonna interrupt myself to let you know what is going on around me. Patrick is asleep on my lap and Isaac is getting dressed but he has only got as far as his new 'big boy boxer shorts'. He is now trying to get my attention to show me his 'special super punching moves'. Isaac thinks that if he wears his boxers it means he is a 'boxer' and must practise his technique. I just love the way his 5yr old brain works!

I would just like to say a big thank you to all those who gave us so many lovely gifts for Christmas and Isaac's birthday. I had the good intentions of sending out thank you cards but realistically I know that it's doubtful I'll find the time but you know that we are very grateful for everything. Isaac got everything on his wish list and is working his way through all his new toys. Patrick is taking his time, too many new things freak him out a bit so we introduce new things slowly.

As I said at the start, my diary is pretty full for the next few weeks, we're off to Southampton to get Patrick's test results tomorrow, Thursday we have social services coming round to discuss how they can help us (after they refused us help and we had to put a formal complaint in). Then next week we have visits from Homestart and Portage and Patrick is getting fitted for a new chair. I am off to college next Wednesday to start a 6 week course to learn all about parenting a child with disabilities so that should be helpful. Apparently they teach you ways to cope with stress and sleep deprivation so that will be useful.

So that is how 2008 will be for us, non stop from the start. It felt strange sitting up waiting for the new year to kick in, I felt quite sad as I sat watching Patrick sleeping, he's so blissfully unaware of what lies in store. I felt a bit jealous watching people on TV enjoying themselves wishing each other a happy new year, full of good cheer and high expectations for the year ahead, while we're sat waiting for the unknown, unable to make plans and unsure ourselves of what lies ahead. We know we're gonna have some tough times ahead and it's all out of our control. I think I was asleep by about 00:05 and woke up this morning feeling much better.

2008 bring it on! We can deal with anything, bad or good, with love and laughter in our hearts we'll be just fine. Yes we will have days ahead that will be difficult but we'll pack a lot of smiles into the rest and I'm sure by this time next year we'll have plenty of fond memories to look back on.

So, happy new year to all of you, I hope that 2008 brings you many happy days.

Take care, Love Gemma xxxx

No comments: